Volunteer: Boise Ronald McDonald House
“The best part of volunteering (at the Ronald McDonald House) is the sheer joy of working with others to provide solace and comfort to families in need. The atmosphere in the House is warm and friendly made even better by the smell of cookies baking in the kitchen. A very special place.”
~ Amie, RMHC of Idaho volunteer
Volunteers are a crucial part of helping Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho keep families together. Every year, volunteers provide over 10,000 hours of service for the House. You can volunteer with your family, co-workers, or friends with most shifts lasting about two hours. As a volunteer, you may choose to prepare a meal, bake treats, tend to the yard, work a fundraising event, or help with projects around the House to keep it clean and comfortable. There is sure to be a project that you will enjoy, plus you’ll be helping us support families with sick children.
It’s easy to sign up for a volunteer shift through our VolunteerLocal online calendar. Simply follow the steps below:
- Submit an online registration form for each person interested in volunteering (volunteers only need to register once)
- **Unsure if you’re already registered or what email address you used? If you think you might have already registered please use this self-check link prior to completing an additional registration. This link will let you know if your email is in our system or not.
- You can also reach out to Micaela at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about your registration
- When registering, you can use the same email address for all family members, allowing your accounts to be linked
- After filling out the registration form, you will receive a confirmation email
- Once registered, you can sign up for volunteer shifts through the baking, meal preparation, House projects, and fundraising events calendars below. Volunteer opportunities are listed through December 2020
- Please email our Volunteer Coordinator, Micaela de Loyola-Carkin, with any questions
Volunteer Tour and Training
We are now offering tours of the Idaho Ronald McDonald House for new volunteers! We strongly recommend any new volunteers participate in this tour and training, as it will equip you with all the information needed ahead of your volunteer shift. Click here to sign up for a tour. Please reach out to Micaela with any questions at email@example.com.
Still interested in a tour even though you’re not a new volunteer? We’re also offering ambassador tours for current/returning volunteers, donors, and community members. Click here to sign up for an ambassador tour.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
Food from the Heart
A home-cooked meal or baked good goes a long way in helping to make the Idaho Ronald McDonald House a comfortable place to stay.
For meal preparation or baking groups of 2 to 6 people, please note that all shifts close after one person has signed up for the shift. This ensures that other people outside your group will not sign up for your shift. If you have others joining you, please email our Volunteer Coordinator, Micaela. She will send you a password to share with your group so they can also sign up for the shift.
For meal preparation or baking groups of 7 or more people, please contact Micaela at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-336-5478 ext. 123 before signing up for any shifts.
We strive to keep the Ronald McDonald House clean, organized, and welcoming, but we would not be able to do this without volunteers. As a House projects volunteer, you might sweep the patios, sanitize the playroom toys, wipe out kitchen drawers, or put away a donation.
For House projects groups of 2 to 4 people, please note that all shifts close after one person has signed up for the shift. This ensures that other people outside your group will not sign up for your shift. If you have others joining you, please email our Volunteer Coordinator. She will send you a password to share with your group so they can also sign up for the shift.
For House projects of 5 or more people, please contact Micaela at email@example.com or 208-336-5478 ext. 123 before signing up for any shifts.
Large Volunteer Groups
If you have a group of 7 or more people for meal preparation or baking volunteer shifts or a group of 5 or more people for House projects volunteer shifts, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-336-5478 ext. 123 before signing up for any shifts.
Our CORE volunteers are volunteers who make a long-term commitment to volunteer two to four times a month at a regular shift. CORE volunteers will often work the front desk, run our Happy Wheels Hospitality Carts, or come in regularly to bake/prepare meals. If you’re interested in becoming a CORE volunteer for the Ronald McDonald House, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Micaela de Loyola-Carkin at email@example.com or 208-336-5478 ext. 123.
Event Volunteer Opportunities
Our three major fundraisers are the Western States CAT-Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho Sporting Clays Tournament, J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament benefiting Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho, and the brand new Red Shoe Shindig! Volunteers play an important role in the success of these events.
Western States CAT/Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho Sporting Clays Tournament
May 29 and 30, 2020. Stay tuned for more information.
Sporting Clays is a clay target game designed to simulate field shooting. On the Sporting Clays course, shooters will be presented with a variety of targets that duplicate the flight path of game birds.
Our goal is to provide an enjoyable event for everyone who participates. All proceeds from this event through sponsorships, donations, side games, and the silent auction are used locally to support Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho programs.
J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament
September 16, 2020. Stay tuned for more information.
The J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament is a one-day four-person scramble. In addition to the challenge of this beautiful course, there will be contests on the holes to make the round exciting and fun for all skill levels.
There are several volunteer opportunities available with time commitments from two to six hours.
Other Ways to Help
Even if you don’t live in Boise or just can’t make it to the House, there are still ways you can help support Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho and the families we serve.
- Knit hats, scarves or blankets for babies, kids, and adults – a variety of sizes and colors are great
- Make homemade cards – thank you, happy birthday, and blank note cards with an envelope included
- Collect pop tabs and drop them off at a local recycling center and ask the proceeds to be put on the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho account
- Organize a wish list, welcome bag, toy, or Happy Wheels Cart drive
- Purchase items from one of our Amazon wish lists and have it shipped to the House
We have a variety of opportunities throughout the year for Eagle Scouts to complete their Volunteer Service designation. If the Eagle Scout has a project in mind or would like to discuss different opportunities available please contact Micaela de Loyola-Carkin, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 336-5478 ext. 123.