Volunteer: Boise Ronald McDonald House
Coronavirus and Other Infectious Diseases
Updated September 16, 2020. We are monitoring this situation and will continue updating the information below. Please check back regularly for updates.
Based on current information we have today as it pertains to COVID risks and best practices from state and federal health organizations, and following our operational policy (which aligns us with our partner hospitals processes during a pandemic), in-person volunteer shifts at the House are suspended through the end of 2020. The suspension of in-person volunteer opportunities, including meals, will not be lifted until restrictions are lifted for some of the volunteering and visitation policies at our partner hospitals.
This is disappointing to all of us, as our volunteers are the heart of making our programs work. Below are some other ways you can support families remotely. We will continue to find ways during this strange time to keep you involved and engaged as an active part of the RMHC family.
Other Ways to Help
Because our volunteer shifts are currently closed, here are some ways you can support families remotely. Click here to sign up for a remote volunteer opportunity.
Provide Meals for Families
Ensuring families are well fed is a huge part of what we do at the Idaho Ronald McDonald House. In order to provide meals for families at the House, we rely on support from the community.
You can help us feed families by signing up to provide a meal. You can have a meal delivered from a restaurant, drop off food from a grocery deli, or drop off ingredients for a meal that RMHC staff will prepare.
There are so many ways you can support families at the House remotely. Here are just a few:
- Put together snack bags – decorate and fill with individually wrapped and store bought food items (please no stickers on bags)
- Put together goody bags
- Moms – fuzzy socks, lip balm, lotion, picture frame, journal, etc.
- Dads – journal, key chain, lip balm, crossword puzzle, etc.
- Kids – small activity, candy, activity/coloring book, etc.
- Put together stay healthy kits – use a Ziploc bag and include a face mask, hand sanitizer, tissues, wet wipes, etc.
- Sew face masks
- Host a fundraiser for RMHC of Idaho – you can create a Facebook fundraiser or come up with your own creative idea to help raise funds for families
- Purchase items from our wish list
- Make handmade cards (include envelope) – thank you cards, happy birthday cards, blank cards, etc.
Finished items can be sent to or dropped off at:
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho
139 Warm Springs Ave, Boise, ID 83712
Click here to sign up for a remote volunteer opportunity.
Registering To Volunteer
Volunteers are a crucial part of helping Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho keep families together. Every year, volunteers provide over 11,000 hours of service for the House. You can volunteer with your family, co-workers, or friends with most shifts lasting about two hours. As a volunteer, you may choose to prepare a meal, bake treats, tend to the yard, work a fundraising event, or help with projects around the House to keep it clean and comfortable. There is sure to be a project that you will enjoy, plus you’ll be helping us support families with sick children.
It’s easy to sign up for a volunteer shift through our VolunteerLocal online calendar. Simply follow the steps below:
- Submit an online registration form for each person interested in volunteering (volunteers only need to register once)
- **Unsure if you’re already registered or what email address you used? If you think you might have already registered please use this self-check link prior to completing an additional registration. This link will let you know if your email is in our system or not.
- You can also reach out to Micaela at email@example.com with any questions about your registration
- When registering, you can use the same email address for all family members, allowing your accounts to be linked
- Once registered, you can sign up for a volunteer shifts below
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
Please note all volunteer shifts are suspended through 8/1/20
Food from the Heart and House Projects
A home-cooked meal, baked good, and clean environment go a long way in helping to make the Idaho Ronald McDonald House a comfortable place to stay.
For meal preparation, House projects, or baking groups of 2 to 6 people, please note that all shifts close after one person has signed up for the shift. This ensures that other people outside your group will not sign up for your shift. If you have others joining you, please email our Volunteer Coordinator, Micaela. She will send you a password to share with your group so they can also sign up for the shift.
For meal preparation, House projects, or baking groups of 7 or more people, please contact Micaela at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-336-5478 before signing up for any shifts.
Sign Up For A Volunteer Shift
Volunteer Tour and Training
**All tours of the House have been cancelled indefinitely. Please check back regularly for updates**
Event Volunteer Opportunities
Two of our major fundraisers are the Western States CAT-Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho Sporting Clays Tournament and J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament benefiting Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho! Volunteers play an important role in the success of these events.
Western States CAT/Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho Sporting Clays Tournament
October 2nd and 3rd, 2020. Stay tuned for more information.
Sporting Clays is a clay target game designed to simulate field shooting. On the Sporting Clays course, shooters will be presented with a variety of targets that duplicate the flight path of game birds.
Our goal is to provide an enjoyable event for everyone who participates. All proceeds from this event through sponsorships, donations, side games, and the silent auction are used locally to support Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho programs.
J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament
September 16, 2020. Stay tuned for more information.
The J.R. Simplot Memorial Golf Tournament is a one-day four-person scramble. In addition to the challenge of this beautiful course, there will be contests on the holes to make the round exciting and fun for all skill levels.
There are several volunteer opportunities available with time commitments from two to six hours.