Idaho Ronald McDonald House
Volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House
Volunteers provide an essential layer of support to the House, from helping keep things tidy and clean, helping at events, preparing and serving meals, to baking goodies for families.
Thank you for your interest in helping support the House! Please review the current volunteer guidelines on this page. Current volunteer opportunities can be viewed here.
Making a Meal for Families
Ensuring families are well fed is a huge part of what we do at the Idaho Ronald McDonald House. In order to provide meals for families at the House, we rely on support from the community.
Beginning October 25, 2021, small groups of returning volunteers (3 or less) may schedule a shift to prepare a meal. All volunteers are required to meet the health criteria as outlined on this page.
Beginning November 29, 2021, small groups of new volunteers (3 or less) may complete an application to schedule a shift to prepare a meal. All volunteers are required to meet the health criteria outlined on this page.
Scheduling, Volunteer Application, and all other volunteer opportunities can be found here.
Donating a Meal
If you’re unable to come to the House but still want to help, you can feed families by signing up to provide a meal. You can have a meal delivered from a restaurant, drop off food from a grocery deli, or have a catering order sent to the House for families.
CORE Volunteer Opportunities
Our CORE volunteers are individuals who make a long-term commitment to volunteer two to four times a month on a regular shift. CORE volunteers will often work at the front desk or come in regularly to bake and/or prepare meals. If you’re interested in becoming a CORE volunteer, applications for new CORE volunteers will be accepted starting November 29, 2021.
Community Volunteer Opportunities
As a volunteer, you may choose to prepare a meal, bake treats, tend to the yard, work a fundraising event, or help with projects around the House to keep it clean and comfortable. There is sure to be a project that you will enjoy, plus you’ll be helping us support families with sick children.
New Community Volunteer opportunities will become available beginning November 29, 2021.
There are lots of different ways to help provide comfort and support to families staying at the House without coming in to volunteer on-site. Click here to sign up for a remote volunteer shift.
- Wellness Kits – Assemble wellness kits to give out to families. Wellness kits include travel tissues (Kleenex or other brand), travel-size hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and one disposable facemask in a quart-sized resealable plastic bag (Ziploc or other brand). Please be sure to prepare the wellness kits in a sanitary environment.
- Goody bags – Prepare goody bags for families. Please fill bags with only new and store-bought items. Here are some ideas of what to include:
- Dads: bandana, word search, pen, water bottle
- Moms: lotion, journal, pen, crossword, coffee mug
- Teens: lip balm, craft or activity, water bottle
- Kids: water bottle, colored pencils, coloring book, small game or activity
- Notecards for snack bags –Make note cards to be included in snack bags. Please include “Sent with care from the RMHC of Idaho”. Feel free to add art, jokes, or non-religious inspirational quotes. Please keep in mind that quotes should be less “self-help” style and more encouraging/expressing care.
- Sew face masks
- Host a fundraiser for RMHC of Idaho – you can create a Facebook fundraiser or come up with your own creative idea to help raise funds for families
- Wish list – Purchase items from our wish list
- Make a donation to support families here.
Finished items can be sent to or dropped off at:
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho
139 Warm Springs Ave, Boise, ID 83712
Coronavirus and Other Infectious Diseases
Updated October 6, 2021. We are monitoring this situation and will continue updating the information below. Please check back regularly for updates.
CORE Volunteers began phasing in starting June 15, 2021.
For any questions regarding protocols, processes, and scheduling for CORE volunteers at the House, reach out to Stephanie Meredith at 208-609-3372 or email@example.com.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
We will be phasing in the following volunteer opportunities starting October 25, 2021:
- Returning Volunteer Meal Groups (limited to 3 people or less)
- Returning community volunteers
We will be phasing in the following volunteer opportunities starting November 29, 2021:
- New CORE Volunteers
- New Volunteer Meal Groups (limited to 3 people or less)
- New Community Volunteers
Due to the compromised health condition of families that stay at the Ronald McDonald House, all volunteers, new and returning, must meet the following pre-requisites prior to volunteering:
- Volunteers will be expected to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Volunteers will complete a training session on protocols and procedures for safe operations at the House
At the current time, masking protocol is in place in the Ronald McDonald House. A mask must be worn at all times during a volunteer shift.
The following volunteer opportunities are suspended until further notice:
- Any volunteers 14 years or younger
- Large volunteer groups
For questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Stephanie Meredith, at 208-609-3372 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering To Volunteer
It’s easy to sign up for a volunteer shift through our VolunteerLocal online calendar. Simply follow the steps below:
- Submit an online registration form for each person interested in volunteering (volunteers only need to register once)
- **Unsure if you’re already registered or what email address you used? If you think you might have already registered please use this self-check link prior to completing an additional registration. This link will let you know if your email is in our system or not.
- You can also reach out to our Volunteer Coordinator, Stephanie Meredith at email@example.com or 208-336-5478 with any questions about your registration
- When registering, you can use the same email address for all family members, allowing your accounts to be linked
- Once registered, you can sign up for a volunteer shift
Please note the health restrictions and phased availability for volunteer shifts on this page.