19 Apr Ronald McDonald House Volunteer Spotlight: Renee Coursey
1. Tell us something you’d like others to know about you.
I love helping others in any way that I can. Planning a meal for the people staying at the Ronald McDonald House is such an easy way to help someone in need.
2. What is your usual volunteering job with Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho?
Food from the Heart
3. How long have you been volunteering for the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho?
For the past 6 years. I have also been a Ronald McDonald hostess for the cart at St. Alphonsus’s hospital.
4. How did you become a volunteer? And as a volunteer, what drew you to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Idaho?
I love to cook and bake. When I first started volunteering at the House I baked desserts by myself then I contacted some of my girlfriends and asked them if they would like to join in. One time at the old House we had 10 ladies baking. It is a great way to have camaraderie while helping others. In 2020 [while volunteers didn’t come into the House] I have asked my friends to donate money towards the meal that I planned. One time I had enough money to provide and lunch and a dinner.
5. What do you enjoy about being an RMHC of Idaho volunteer?
I like cooking at the House because I get to visit a little with some of the people staying there in a small way. Even just saying hello and smiling at them helps to let them know that someone is there to help them. Everyone that is staying at the House has always been so thankful for what we do.
6. In your time as an RMHC of Idaho volunteer, is there a meaningful moment or interaction you’ve carried with you?
The most meaningful times at the House have been when we were all cooking or baking together. Also, smiling at the people staying there to let them know that we care.
7. What advice do you have for other volunteers (either current or onboarding) who are connected to RMHC of Idaho?
Volunteering is a way of giving ourselves and not asking anything in return. To see smiling faces and know that you have helped bring sunshine into someone’s life is so important. It costs nothing to help others.